Eternal Father, I unite myself with the intentions and affections of our Lady of Sorrows on Calvary, and I offer to Thee the Sacrifice which Thy beloved Son made of Himself on the Cross, and which He now renews on this holy Altar. I offer it in the name of all mankind, with the Masses which are now being offered, and all those which will be offered throughout the world this day:
- To adore Thee and give Thee the honor which is due to Thee, confessing Thy supreme dominion over all things, and the absolute dependence of everything upon Thee, Who art our one and last End;
- To thank Thee for the innumerable benefits we have received;
- To appease Thy justice, aroused against us by so many sins, and to make satisfaction for them;
- To implore grace and mercy for myself, for Thy Church, for all afflicted and sorrowing, for poor sinners, for those whom I have promised prayers, for all the world, and for the holy souls in Purgatory.
Each Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is offered to God for four ends: Adoration, Thanksgiving, Reparation and Petition.
It is best to arrive at church at least 15 minutes before the celebration of Holy Mass in order to
- bless yourself by doing the Sign of the Cross using Holy Water (teach your children and others about this pious devotion which carries many heavenly merits);
- genuflect with reverence before entering your pew;
- compose one’s thoughts; and
- pray the above prayer in a spirit of devotion and reverence to our Eternal Father.
Those attending Mass are reminded that only baptized Catholics in the state of grace are invited to receive Holy Communion.
Finally, to receive the most benefits from participating in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, one is encouraged to remain 5 or more minutes after the priest has exited. It is advisable, appropriate and fitting to pray in thanksgiving after Communion.
Remember to remain silent until you exit the church and do not forget to genuflect as you leave your pew and bless yourself, once again, with Holy Water while doing the Sign of The Cross.
Vivat Jesus! (Jesus Lives!)